FB rEVOLUTION scraper chains combine the wear resistance of drop forged link chains with the innovation and field-proven features of modern FB conveyor chains.
During a meeting with the maintenance manager of a well-known German producer of chip and MDF boards, we were challenged to design a forged scraper chain that could run faster over a longer distance, that could guarantee increased working life, and that could reduce downtime.
When selecting the type of chain to be used in a scraper conveyor, the benefits of drop forged link chains were balanced against the advantages of conveyor chains. But while there might usually be some element of compromise, in this case, our customer wasn’t prepared to make any concessions.
Our solution was the design of a scraper chain that is based on conveyor chain to DIN8167/ISO1977 but that uses a new link plate material, FB1000 and welded pins and bushes.
- Through the combination of new materials and an optimised construction, the breaking force and fatigue strength increases by between 30% and 50% when compared with DIN–ISO conveyor chains.
- The new scraper chain offers up to 90% larger bearing-area compared to drop forged link chains or round steel chains.
- In many cases, the bearing-pressure can be reduced by half, which has an extremely positive effect on the wear and the life of conveyor chains and sprockets.
- The new chain can be fitted to an existing conveyor system with no reconstruction works and no impact on capacity or speed.
- Using flexible, modern manufacturing capabilities and tools, we can build almost any pitch chain without affecting conveyor symmetry.
- The level of chain-guides, pitch circle diameter of sprockets and diameter of the pulleys also requires little or no adjustment.
- Wear-resistant tooth-segments can be fitted to the existing hub body saving time, money and trouble.
- There is much more space for welding scrapers or attachments.
- The increased area allows for a stronger weld and enables a greater variety of shapes and designs of scrapers.
Common issues with welded scrapers on drop forged chain with their case-hardened or high hardness links are completely avoided.
And if something should get stuck in the conveyor system, FB rEVOLUTION conveyor chains can be easily reversed.
The addition of stainless steel and hardened AISI420V pins and bushes allows the chain to be used with moist or acidic conveyed material that is found in scrapers used for wet ash, biomass or coal in-feed systems, wood chip or bark as well as for alternative fuels in cement factories and in recycling plants.
Thorough checking of the conveyor system parameters, and recalculation of the performance data, will highlight the steps required for conversion from drop forged chain. In most cases, however, there are no conversion steps necessary to the conveying system.
FB rEVOLUTION chains offer demonstrable improvements in chain scrapers for the wood and wood processing industry, sawmills, paper and pulp, biomass power plants, recycling plants, alternative fuels, cement factories, power plants and heating plants.